My test involves 2 Activities, one with a GridView, and one with a
ListView.  The GridView is defined as "Theme.NoTitleBar.Fullscreen"
and works great on first launch.

The ListView defines a custom title bar using:
getWindow().setFeatureInt(Window.FEATURE_CUSTOM_TITLE,
                                R.layout.titlebar);

The app starts and you are presented with a GridView.  For simplicity
I added one item:
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/twm8eQBvUAQcajNr5Z5RRQ?feat=directlink

If you click the item you go to a ListView:
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/sFI7SNMjIC0iXjmxQVqKLg?feat=directlink

Now when I click "back" I'm back at the first Activity.  If I press
"up" on the dpad I can scroll up:
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/eRx06OVXFtPccmtgT_b0pw?feat=directlink

Is this because of the custom title? Can anyone give me advice to
avoid this?