I tried with the new API:

MediaScannerConnection.scanFile(EMD.context,names,types,null);

...and it still does not add the files to the music library.  Is media
scanning just broken in Android 2.2???  The files are actually added
to my library if I restart the phone or unmount/mount the sdcard.  But
in 2.1 and below, they are added to the music library immediately
using the above code.

Anyone got any ideas/suggestions?