Is there a way to change an application's icon without upgrading it?

The idea is that there are two icons in the drawable folder, both with
different names.  At some point during the applications runtime, the
icon will switch to a different one to alert the user that something
occurred.

I have looked into doing a widget, but that isn't exactly what I want,
since I don't want to send a push notification.

Cheers,

John