Then we can certainly agree that the dashboard figures are a much
better measure of how many 1.5 and 1.6 devices are out there than the
downloads of any one popular app.

And yes, that other count would have been stupid; but I have seen even
more stupid things hidden under such vague language as "relative
number of access devices" and "based on the number of Android devices
that have accessed".

So if you agree that that would be stupid, then you should also agree
that such vague language is also stupid. Please see what you can do to
get it changed.