On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 10:04 AM, Kostya Vasilyev <kmans...@gmail.com> wrote:
> But an AppWidgetProvider is a broadcast receiver, and its methods are called
> on a certain thread within the containing process. Is it safe to call
> updateAppWidget and other methods (such as getAppWidgetIds) from a
> different, arbitrary thread?
>
> Or, this can be restated as: is AppWidgetManager thread-safe?
>
> If so, is this by design, or is it not guaranteed and happens to work in
> some configurations and not in others?

AppWidgetManager is merely a wrapper around an IPC call, if you look
at the source code, and similar constructs elsewhere in Android (most
*Manager classes) work fine from background threads.

So, AFAICT, it should be fine from a background thread. That being
said, I am not a Googler (nor do I play one on TV)...

--
Mark Murphy (a Commons Guy)

_The Busy Coder's Guide to *Advanced* Android Development_ Version 1.9
Available!