I agree that this would be a nice new feature on the market.  I can
see that for inexpensive apps, a person might instead of just
recommending it to a friend might buy it for them - that could be an
app sale that wouldn't occur otherwise.  Gift certificates that are
not specific to a certain app would also be a nice feature.