96 dpi is certainly wrong for Moto Droid / Milestone.

Try using Canvas.getDensity().

-- Kosyta

06.08.2010 5:14, sdphil пишет:
bump

On Aug 4, 2:12 pm, sdphil<phil.pellouch...@gmail.com>  wrote:
I am trying to determine the physical size of a screen in inches.

Normally, I could do something like this:

     DisplayMetrics metrics = new DisplayMetrics();
     getWindowManager().getDefaultDisplay().getMetrics( metrics );

Then use metrics.widthPixels and metrics.heightPixels.  Now that I
know the width and height in pixels, I should be able to calculate
size in inches if I know the density.  Easy enough, metrics.xdpi and
metrics.ydpi.

Then screen dimension in inches should be:

     widthInInches = metrics.widthPixels / metrics.xdpi;
     heightInInches = metrics.heightPixels / metrics.ydpi;

Seems simple enough except that it doesn't work.

On a Motorola Droid, the system reports back: xdpi and ydpi as 96
(which cannot be true).

And the screen resolution as: 480 x 854.  Which results in a width of
5" x 8.9" -- which as I'm holding this in my hand right now, I must
say - cannot be correct.

Any ideas on how to accurately calculate this?

--
Kostya Vasilev -- WiFi Manager + pretty widget -- http://kmansoft.wordpress.com