Patrick,

Um, I have a Galaxy S here (European version), and getExternalStorageDirectory returns "/sdcard", which is internal memory.

The "external" microSD memory card gets mounted at "/sdcard/sd".

Maybe this is what you meant, too, but I thought I'd clarify the exact names.

As for getting its name from code, someone posted a while ago a trick to get the internal memory name for the HTC Incredible. I can't find it now, but it involved querying a content provider. Maybe a similar trick would work on the Galaxy S as well?

-- Kostya