I apologize for the long post, but trying to provide all of the
information I know about:

Begin studying Android programming last April

Until now, have been using Android SDK’s Emulator with the Eclipse
plug-in, but recently replaced my non-Android phone to T-Mobile's
MyTouch 3G Slide. Today, tried to install the Windows Android USB
Driver for the phone. Followed instructions in
http://d.android.com/sdk/win-usb.html
(USB Driver for Windows Android Developers).

When looking for the driver, Windows gave me a "Could Not Find Driver
Software" message.  When telling Windows where to search, I pointed it
to the SDK directory where the driver resides (…Android-SDK-windows/
usb_driver).  Also tried …Android-SDK-windows.  Specified “use sub-
folders" in both tries. I am using Vista 64 bit, and suspect that may
be the cause.

The "could not find.." message box from Windows has this information
under Details:

  Problem Event Name:   PnPDriverNotFound
  Architecture: x64
  Hardware Id:  USB\VID_0BB4&PID_0E03&REV_0100&MI_01
  OS Version:   6.0.6002.2.2.0.256.1
  Locale ID:    1033

In Windows Device Manager, "Other Devices ==>ADB==> Properties"
shows
  Device type:  Other Devices
  Manufacturer:  Unknown
  Location:  0000.001d.0007.002.000.000.000.000.000
  Device Status:  This device is not configured correctly. (Code 1).
There is no driver selected for the device information set or element

In the sdk's "usb_driver" directory, the "android_winusb.inf" file has
several VID's beginning with 0BB..., but does not have one for the one
listed above.  Nor is there a [ ... ]header entry for the MyTouch 3G
Slide (Expresso??)

I suspect this is the reason for the "Driver not found"

Am using the 32 bit version of "Eclipse IDE for Java Developers"
downloaded last April.  (At that time there were a lot of forum
warnings about not using the 64 bit version.)

Today, before trying to install the driver, I uninstalled the Android
plug-in from Eclipse and then uninstalled the Android SDK I had
installed in April which was at the 2.1 level.  I reinstalled the SDK
at the 2.2 level taking "all items". Then reinstalled the Eclipse plug-
in.

In the "Android SDK and AVD Manager" checked for any updates.  There
were none (I'd just re-installed, so that makes sense)

Information in this thread looked like a solution:

http://groups.google.com/group/android-developers/browse_thread/thread/f8214f7f9ef55512/

When I tried that, got the same message box.

These two threads from 2009 have entries that say the 64 bit driver is
in the SDK I can’t find it. Could  be looking the wrong place though.

http://groups.google.com/group/android-developers/browse_thread/thread/62e1a87584bb90d9/85d9d5eb5586e9b2?lnk=gst&q=usb+driver+vista+64#85d9d5eb5586e9b2

http://groups.google.com/group/android-developers/browse_thread/thread/62e1a87584bb90d9/5477ba596ee3f307?lnk=gst&q=usb+driver+vista+64#5477ba596ee3f30

The android_winusb.inf  has these two .CAT entries in it
CatalogFile.NTx86   = androidwinusb86.cat
CatalogFile.NTamd64 = androidwinusba64.cat

Using the information from the above …5512 thread, I added these lines
to the [Google.NTx86] group immediately following the ";Google
NexusOne" information and before the [Google.NTamd64] entry

;MyTouch3G Slide
%SingleAdbInterface%            = USB_Install, USB\VID_0BB4&PID_0E03
%CompositeAdbInterface%     = USB_Install, USB\VID_0BB4&PID_0E03&MI_01

When that did not make any difference, added:
%SingleBootLoaderInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0BB4&PID_0FFF which
was also part of  a post.  Made no difference

The .INF has a [ClassInstall32], entry, but there is no
[ClassInstall64] entry.  I do not know enough about INF’s to know if
that is needed or not.

Will appreciate any help that can be provided