I've been poking around retrieving RawContactsEntity records (ie
RawContacts joined with RawContactsData) and am getting an
IllegalArgumentException when trying to create a query that contains
  ContactsContract.RawContactsEntity.AGGREGATION_MODE
in its projection.

Caused by: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Invalid column
aggregation_mode
at
android.database.DatabaseUtils.readExceptionFromParcel(DatabaseUtils.java:
144)
at
android.database.DatabaseUtils.readExceptionFromParcel(DatabaseUtils.java:
114)
at
android.content.ContentProviderProxy.bulkQuery(ContentProviderNative.java:
326)
at
android.content.ContentProviderProxy.query(ContentProviderNative.java:
345)
at android.content.ContentResolver.query(ContentResolver.java:202)
at android.app.Activity.managedQuery(Activity.java:1504)
at
au.com.xandar.contactsmanager.RawContactsCursor.getAllContactsWithNames(RawContactsCursor.java:
136)
at
au.com.xandar.contactsmanager.AccountsFactory.getAccounts(AccountsFactory.java:
44)
at
au.com.xandar.contactsmanager.DisplayContactsActivity.onCreate(DisplayContactsActivity.java:
37)
at
android.app.Instrumentation.callActivityOnCreate(Instrumentation.java:
1047)
at
android.app.ActivityThread.performLaunchActivity(ActivityThread.java:
2459)
... 11 more

As far as I can tell, AGGREGATION_MODE is a valid column to be
retrieving.
Any ideas?

Also, when I retrieve the RawContactsEntity records for the
GoogleContacts account where MIME_TYPE =
StructuredName.CONTENT_ITEM_TYPE, I get about a dozen records that
ONLY contain RawContactId, ContactId and Sync4 and Sync4 == 1. I know
this is within the internals of the GoogleContacts sync adapter, but
I'm curious as to what Sync4==1 means in this context and more
importantly whether these sparse RawContacts records are real or
debris that can be safely removed.