Markus,

You should match up calls to bindService() and unbindService().

If you bind to the service in your Activity's onStart(), call unbindService in onStop().

Next time your activity is started, it will call bindService() again. Service lifecycle is managed by Android, and the service will be started again if it is killed or exits by that time.

-- Kostya