Jeff

I did some benchmarking first. I have versions of my algorithms in
both C++ and Java. I sample at 22KHz for 12 seconds and perform an
SFTF on 2048 sample frames with a 75% overlap in order to transcribe
what the user has played on their instrument. I do some other stuff on
the spectrum to figure out the F0 and I have a mechanism for filtering
out some of the transcribed notes that I've described in my papers:

http://www.comp.dit.ie/bduggan/research.php

C++ code to do this on the iPhone 3G takes about 12 seconds to do the
DSP. This is about 50% faster on an iPhone 4G
100% Java code to do the identical task on a 1Ghz HTC Desire takes
minutes (running Android 2.1). I dont have the exact numbers, but
basically not practical. The same code running on WIndows 7, JDK takes
a few seconds.
The identical C++ implementation I use on the iPhone I call on Android
using the Android NDK and it only takes a few secomds

Conclusion - Android Java on 2.1 is slow for maths intensive code. DSP
in Java on Android 2.1 or less is not practical. It has to be done in
native code. Thats why Im a bit reluctant to consider a Win Phone 7
version of my app - no native code.

Hope that helps!

Bryan