I have seen this on a number of devices if the phone is idle for a
long time or if the display gets shut off manually. My app has
~100,000 users so I am quite sure I am not imagining it. My phones (N1
and Galaxy) are not affected, but I get a lot of these reports from
Droid users.

Here's a simple test I would recommend:
- tell your users to set the stock alarm. If you experience the same
situation that I talk about, you will find the stock alarm fails, too.
- tell your users to keep the phone plugged in. Your alarm will no
longer fail.

If these tests show my experience is relevant to your problem, I have
a number of suggestions what else you can do.