I have found the emulator to be useful for testing the screen sizes
but little else. The emulator is fine for basic functionality tests
but it is woefully inadequate for determining if an app will run
without crashing on any particular device. Each manufacturer has added
their own sauce to the OS. Each device has its peculiarities and
oddities. The only sure way to know if your app is going to run on it
is to see for yourself. Of course, you can play the wait and see game
to find out by reading the market comments or feedback e-mails from
users. I prefer to be proactive. Google in the past has been great in
"seeding" the community of developers with devices. I hope they
continue doing this.

It's pretty easy to develop a beta test community. I added a "Looking
for beta testers" message to my help text and got about a 1% response
from users who were willing to do so. This has been very helpful in
creating updates that don't crash and work on all devices. For my last
update of "Radar Now!" I had over 200 testers run the beta and a few
surprises were uncovered and fixed as a result. This is a heck of a
lot cheaper than owning the 50+ devices that Android runs on.

Another method that worked for me was to advertise in the app that I
was looking for a specific problematic device to test the app on. When
the DROIDX first came out, I got reports that some of the functions
didn't work. I put a location specific ad on the app that only showed
in my area and within a few days I got two volunteers offering help. I
met one of them at a local Starbucks and tested it out. While this
type of ad may not be possible in most apps, it does demonstrate that
with a little initiative and clever thinking, you can solve a lot of
these issues without actually owning the device.

A third possibility, would be to establish a relationship with your
local offices of the carriers. Most Verizon, AT&T, Sprint and other
carrier stores have demo units available for potential customers. If
you can establish a working relationship with those stores, you can
test your apps on their demo units for free.

-John Coryat