No, this is different.

IMEI is assigned to every phone before it leaves the factory, and doesn't change during its lifetime. It's often printed on the box.

ANDROID_ID is generated by Android, and can change (e.g. when settings are reset).

If it works for you, it's great, but I would like to see a solution that's not tied to the telephony stack. There are devices without a phone radio at all.

-- Kostya