On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 3:42 PM, john brown <johnbrowngreybe...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Does anyone have experience connecting to a AT&T Samsung Captivate
> Galaxy (Samsung SGH 1897). It runs Android 2.1. I have "USB debugging
> connected" and "USB connected" on the phone but I cannot get the
> desktop computer to recognize the sdcard via Windows Explorer or get
> the devices recognized with "adb devices".
>
> I have successfully connected to my Motorola Droid. I was in the same
> situation with it yesterday but, thanks to this very helpful list, I
> am now in control of that device. (and my app runs on it!)
>
> Many thanks, John Brown
>
> (P.S. My beta tester insisted on the AT&T phone because he already has
> his family plan working with AT&T. One device, one version, ....
> that's just a dream.)

Samsung, in their infinite wisdom, has some weirdness going on with their
USB port.  From what little I looked into it, the USB port is actually a
multi-function device, and not just a standard USB interface (as is on most
other Android devices).

You'll need to install the drivers for it from samsung's website:

http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/mobile/mobile-phones/at-t-phones/SGH-I897ZKAATT/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail&tab=support

Linux is apparently a bit harder to get working (I haven't tried yet), but
Windows works fine for me after installing those drivers.

--Phill W.