In introductory economics classes, whether at high school or
undergraduate level, we are taught to think of buyers and sellers as
perfectly rational. In good classes, we are told that this is only an
approximation. Unfortunately, people tend to soon forget that it is
only an approximation. Those of us who go on to study pricing in
business school learn just how poor an approximation it really is, as
your anecdote confirms!

That said, I can't help but wonder if the phenomenon you report is due
primarily to two factors: 1) when they are sold the expensive phone
and plan, one of the key selling points is "there are lots of free
apps" 2) after spending that much on the phone and realizing how much
they pay per month, they suffer from "buyer's remorse", which
encourages their hope to get something for free even more; they figure
they have already "paid their dues".