I have list view with fairly complex list view items consisting of
several image views, several text views, progress bars, etc. Depending
on the state of the item some of these elements can be show and some
are hidden. I understand that listview recycles views. Right now I am
dealing with slow listview scrolling especially on lower powered
devices. What's the best way to deal with this problem?

I already optimized each list item view as much as I could. Now I am
facing with what's the best? Use one single view with many children
for all items and hide and show various children depending on the item
state. This way I do not inflate each item view as list is being
scrolled but need to show and hide constantly various child views.

Another approach is to build item view dynamically each time view is
requested in the adapter getView method. In this case I can only add
at run time those elements that are truly needed for current item
state but this requires inflating item view every time.

Finally  the third approach is most extreme is to have one custom view
and draw everything myself. This of cause requires a lot of work.