On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 12:14 AM, Indicator Veritatis <mej1...@yahoo.com>wrote:

> If it "wasn't very useful", then why is it still appearing on a stack
> trace in 2.1? Android itself is using it, so it must be useful --
> unless you still have a lot of useless crap that needs to be removed
> even from 2.1;)

It's part of the framework implementation.  There are lots of things in the
internal framework impl that you'll see in stack traces.

> And what did you hope to achieve by hedging, saying "may have been"?
> It WAS included. I found it in the copy of the docs at
> http://www.androidjavadoc.com/1.0_r1_src/android/app/ActivityThread.html
> It is (was) in the android.app package. So if it is no longer
> supported, it should have been marked in newer SDK's as deprecated.
> Why wasn't it?

Oh...  what the heck is that?  That isn't official documentation.  It looks
like someone is generating Java docs from the raw source code, but not
taking into account the @hide annotations to hide things from the SDK docs
that aren't available to apps.  I wouldn't trust anything I see in that doc.

> In any case, I take it the modern way of managing the execution of the
> Activity's main thread is to use Handler and Looper, NOT use
> ActivityThread, leaving all other 'managing' of the thread to the
> system.

ActivityThread has *never* been an application API.  It doesn't have
anything intended for direct use by apps.  You also don't manage the main
app thread; the framework does that, with this and various other classes.
 You can just use the normal Handler facility to enqueue messages/runnables
on the main thread.

--
Dianne Hackborn
Android framework engineer