Thanks, I'm still having issues, but now I do see the GPS 'icon' as
turned on when the application is running.  The issue though is that I
don't get anything on the map through our online site...no longitude
and latitude, or anything else.

Here's the revised code I'm using:

package org.gw.service;

import android.content.Context;
import android.location.Location;
import android.location.LocationManager;

public class LocationService extends AService {
 LocationManager lm = null;
 Location loc = null;
 public int excute() {
     getDataMap().put(Command, LOCATION);

     if (isOk()) {
      lm = (LocationManager)
getContext().getSystemService(Context.LOCATION_SERVICE);
      loc = lm.getLastKnownLocation("gps");
      if(loc == null)
       loc = lm.getLastKnownLocation("network");
      double sLatitude = loc.getLatitude();
            double sLongitude = loc.getLongitude();
         String location = sLatitude+","+sLongitude;
      //location = "40.738412973944534,-73.98468017578125";
         getDataMap().put(Des, "OK");
         getDataMap().put(Value, location);
     } else {
         getDataMap().put(Des, "error password!!");
     }
     new ServiceClient(this).excute();

     return 0;
    }