> I don't know. Every email I've gotten and all comments in the crash reports
> indicate it's a consistent crash occurring 100% of the time (and in the
> exact same location based on the ever-growing report count for the same
> stack trace).
>
> Clearing the data (or uninstalling / re-installing which clears the data as
> well) makes the problem go away each and every time.

I think what's happening then is that some kind of race condition
corrupts your app data, after which the crash will occur every time.
Of course, clearing the app data will ellivate the problem.  But I
still think that it's red herring:

- It started to happen after you introduced static maps.
- You admit using such maps in multiple threads
- java.util.TreeMap is not thread safe.

What I would do is wrap TreeMap around a
java.util.Collections.syncronizedMap (not 100% about the name) and
then release an updated app and see if the crashes go away.  I know it
makes your users the testers, but if you cannot duplicate it, there is
not much to lose.