I don't think the memory load will be as bad as you imagine. I plan to
give the user a pick-list of which columns they want to see in the
table. In practice, they will rarely choose more than a handful.
Likewise, there are rarely more than a few dozen rows. So total memory
footprint is <o>200Kbytes.

For now I'll just use a GridView and continue to think about my
options.

IMHO, this is a pretty glaring omission from the GridView
functionality, since 9 times out of 10 people need to understand their
orientation in the grid - what rows and columns they are viewing.