I have an app that uses <merge> to align the views at the top and
bottome of the the screen.  a summary of the view look like this:

<merge>
<LinearLayout> top portion of screen </LinearLayout>
<LinearLayout> bottom portion of screen </LinearLayout>
</merge>

This works fine for all uses of the application except one.  When the
application is called as an Intent from Gmail app, the application
will soon lose the bottom part of the layout.

What could be the problem ?

I tried replacing <merge> with <FrameLayout> but there was the same
problem.