My IntentService is happily chugging away and sends a broadcast of
results when it's done:

                                intent.setAction("mySpecialName");
                                sendBroadcast(intent);

Meanwhile, my main thread has a receiver defined like this:

                       registerReceiver( myReceiver = new
BroadcastReceiver() {
                        @Override
                        public void onReceive(Context arg0, Intent theIntent ) {
                                // process the received data
                        } }
                        , new IntentFilter("mySpecialName") );

But the onReceive method is not getting the message. I'm guessing I
need to do something with "mySpecialName" in the manifest or some
such. Any pointers?