I can't necessarily fill you in on the categories, but here's my take
(including the occasional reference to other devel platform I've
worked with)

The good
- I found Dalvik is completely adhering to "original" Java SE. Pretty
sensational in my view.
- SDK capabilities far surpass anyhting else out there (for what I am
doing, location/map-based work).
- Emulator is an accurate representation of Android on the device,
minus device specific properties of course, such as dynamics of
location providers, telco network access in pause/resume cycles, tilt
sensor and so on
- After having worked with cross-compilation environments
(scratchbox), I am impressed with the ease of loading and running/
debugging apps on the device. Select "Run" in Eclipse, select target
(handset connected with USB) and off you go. Very refreshing because
it's built like one would expect.
- Speaking of scratchbox. Setting up the Android development
environment in general is a breeze. Simple and straightforward
- No NDA's and other proprietaries a la Apple

The bad
- Poor community support, despite the occassional bright spot. We've
seen Kafkaesque situations between Google (The castle) and developer
community (villagers) without signs of significant improvement. Now
that devices are out, there are many constraints, so things should
settle now
- Restrictions on the use of the Maps API. I am under the impression
this is driven by prior agreements with suppliers of data, and
Google's interest. No location-based search (although exposed in the
first release of Android and demonstrated in Maps), no street view in
API (propably premature to ask for)
- Security appears vulnerable and untested as of yet. I get the sense
something bad's going to happen sooner than later
- Android market comments not moderated, i.e. rating system is flooded
by trolls posting prophanities, becoming increasingly useless.

The irrelevant
- From a plain app development perspective, the open source aspect of
Android is actually pretty irrelevant. The binaries of Android are
preloaded with the shipped handsets, and the users will not tinker
with it, i.e. this is the target for app development, open source, or
not. Having said that, having released "private" SDK releases last
summer hurt Google's reputation in the community. Now that devices are
out, that's materially irrelevant as well.