There's an old issue filed for this bug:

http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=5988

You can either supply your own contact editor and supply activities
for editing and adding contacts to your account or wait for a fix from
Google. The first option results in a very shabby user experience and
the second option is not going to happen anytime soon.