Imagine a View filling the width and the top half of the screen. The
height varies depending on whether the IME is shown or not (and
whether the screen is in landscape/portrait mode). The IME itself has
variable height.

Now imagine that View has a child LinearLayout (vertical) showing a
couple of ImageButtons (one above the other) on the right hand side.

Normally this works fine, but sometimes, when the IME is showing, the
two icons do not quite fit within the height, and so I would like to
change the orientation of the LinearLayout to horizontal.

How can this be done as the main View automatically resizes?

Note - I really want the LinearLayout orientation-change to happen
according to the parent view height rather than whether the IME is
showing (although this would be an acceptable second-best solution).