So after finishing with glFinish(), you haven't seen a freeze at all
or you just saw one now?  I'm not sure what to make of the "until now"
part :)

If you really think that's making a difference, I'll try it out and
see if it makes a difference for my games as well, though I have to
play for about an hour to see it happen.