Count me in as another who has this problem.  It's a real
disappointment that this cannot be done.  But, it seems clear you
can't do it.  So does anyone have any elegant work-arounds yet?

I want to create a grid of 17 columns and 32 rows (an NFL Schedule
grid).  I was hoping to do it with a GridView where, say, 7-10 rows
would be on the screen at once, and 3-5 columns (in portrait).  Then I
simply wanted the user to be able to scroll around the grid,
vertically and horizontally, and look at whatever they want.

I've thought about:
- Using Gallery, but that does not do what I'm looking for here.  The
point isn't only horizontal scrolling, it's to have a bunch of cells
on screen at once for viewing
- Using 17 ListViews side by side, inside a ScrollView.  But 17
ListViews?  Isn't that also 17 adapters?  I don't think so ...
- Using a single ListView inside a ScrollView, where each row of the
list uses a TableLayout to split into 17 cells.  I think this might
work, but I haven't tried it.  Plus, I *think* I can isolate clicks of
each cell this way, but I'm not sure.
- Finally, I'm not willing to dive into core code of these widgets and
try to write this myself.  I'm not advanced enough right now.

Any other ideas?