Personally I dislike the release overhead, but since I only ever need
to wear the cost once for any particular type of build I don't see it
as that onerous over all.
I configure my projects using maven and drop the necessary tools as
plugins into the relevant phase of the build life-cycle.
>From there on that project always builds and/or releases my component
just as specified.

And once I've configured it for one type of project (eg Android) I
either
1) abstract out the common strcuture from the build and publish it for
other projects to use
2) create a build template that is published for other projects to
use.
3) copy the build to new projects

So adding a tool like ProGuard or ZipAlign or JarSigner into the build
process is simple, clear and maintainable.
But hey, I place higher value than some on those 3 : simple, clear and
maintainable.