On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 7:35 AM, monty <neilm30s...@gmail.com> wrote:
>   I have an issue with displaying videos on android devices.When any
> video is displayed it does not take the entire screen size of device
> even though i have given android:layout_width="fill_parent".There will
> being some blank space on either sides.for eg.if i have a video of 480
> by 320 it will work on 480 by 320 device fine but  on a  device like
> say Nexus one  it wont take the entire display of device ,there will
> be some blanl spaces on two sides.

Of course. That is what your users want.

>  Is this a default feature of android devices or is there a solution
> to resolve this ?Why does not the "fill_parent" attribute work?

It does work.

The ratio of 480 to 320 is 3:2. The ratio of 800 to 480 is 5:3. You
cannot fill a 5:3 screen with a 3:2 video and maintain the original
aspect ratio. Hence, VideoView will expand the video (maintaining
aspect ratio) until it runs out of room on one axis.

--
Mark Murphy (a Commons Guy)

Android 2.2 Programming Books: http://commonsware.com/books