I have a TabActivity with 3 tabs. Each tab contains its own Activity.
When one of the contained Activities pops up an AlertDialog, there are
actually 3 dialogs created. The dialog has a Dismiss button and it
must be pressed 3 times to finally dismiss the 3rd dialog.

My AlertDialog code in the contained Activity looks something like
this:

                AlertDialog alertDialog = new
AlertDialog.Builder(context).create();
                alertDialog.setTitle(titleId);
                alertDialog.setMessage(message);
                alertDialog.setButton(AlertDialog.BUTTON_NEUTRAL,
context.getString(R.string.dismiss),
                                new DialogInterface.OnClickListener() {
                                        public void onClick(DialogInterface
dialog, int which) {
                                                // Nothing to do here
                                        }
                                }
                );
                alertDialog.show();

What is the recommended way to pop up Alerts from inside a TabActivity?