Please pay attention to the Android porting issues.

Android is growing fast nowadays with more and more devices, but there
is a very serious problem that is going more and more serious
meanwhile: manufactures are not porting Android very well.

Here are some examples I found:
1.      On HTC G1 with Android 1.5 & 1.6, the values
android.net.wifi.WifiManager.getScanResults() reports will not refresh
if you change the settings of access point. For example, a wireless
router with SSID “my ap” changes it’s SSID to “new ap”,
WifiManager.getScanResults() will still report it as “my ap”.

2.      On Xperia™ X10 mini with android 1.6,
android.net.wifi.WifiManager.getScanResults() reports all the APs
having frequency “2”. Android documentation says the frequency value
is “in MHz”, but I think X10 returns values in “GHz”.

3.      On Some phones(Droid X ??) android.net.wifi.WifiManager.
isWifiEnabled() returns false if Wi-Fi is on but not connected.

I’m talking about Wi-Fi because I’m developing an app related to Wi-
Fi. I do not means these kinds of problems only exist on Wi-Fi things.
I think there are many porting problems around all kinds of Android
devices except for Wi-Fi.

Someone may say “The market will do the right selection”, but it is
NOT true! The users will rate an app low just because it does not work
on there NEW phones. The developers can do nothing to improve it. They
do not know why because they can’t buy every Android phone to do
tests. Even if they know and they can, they will be soon tired to do
patches. What if more and more developers stop programming for
Android? The market?

I know this is not the fault of Android team and Google. But some
manufacture said to me “Please report this issue directly to Google™
as the Android™ platform is developed by Google™ and the Open Handset
Alliance” after I reported such an issue to it. WTF! Are they stupid
or something like that?? We can’t wait for the manufactures to solve
problems.

As a developer, I can do nothing but patch and patch again. I think
I’ll be tired someday. I know there are lots of developers working on
Android, but are there enough?

If Android dies, it dies for that.