Well, talk about the proverbial wild geese!  It appears to have
nothing to do with whether it is built by Eclipse or Ant.  It also has
nothing to do with whether it is installed by Eclipse or Ant.  What it
DOES depend on is whether I am debugging the process or not.  If I
debug it, then the ListViews are not freed.  If I run it without
debugging then they are.  I cannot believe that I have just spend the
last week tracking down a non-bug.

Thank you all for your help.