1 and 3 I had seen, but I only needed a one-way "Service is done
starting".  But this one is interesting:

> 2. You can create a PendingIntent to deliver a result to an activity.
> That PendingIntent can be given to the service either as one of the
> extras in the Intent given to startService().

Not sure how I follow how this one would work.  If I had myActivity
and myService, would it look like the following?:

====
myActivity starts the service:

Intent i = new Intent(myActivity.this, myService.class);
i.putExtra("serviceMsg",PendingIntent.getActivity(myActivity.this, 0,
new Intent(myActivity.this, myService.class), 0);
startService(i);

---
myService sends an OK message:

// Get the pending intent by getExtra("serviceMsg")
pending.send(RESULT_OK)

---
myActivity receives it though onActivityResult(?):

@Override
protected void onActivityResult(int request, int result, Intent i) {
// Some kind of check on the extras in the intent?

===

.. Or am I completely off base?