I saw Dianne's post on Oct 31 regarding this topic. I'm also a co-
author of an Android book that advocated the approach of extending the
Application class. We're currently busy updating in preparation for
Pro Android 3, and I can assure you I've already replaced that section
with one explaining how to create and use singletons instead. Sorry
for the confusion in the book.

- dave
www.androidbook.com