On Sat, Nov 6, 2010 at 4:42 PM, Open <gro...@tenromans.com> wrote:
> I have an activity in my application that shows a listview of items
> with icons next two each item. I would like to lazy load icons for
> each item from the Internet using in memory caching and SD caching
> (very common Android use case).
>
> I have been using this code from the Google Android developers blog:
> http://android-developers.blogspot.com/2010/07/multithreading-for-performance.html
>
> And discovered that it is possible for this code to generate > 100
> asynctasks,
>
> Does anyone have a modified version of this they would be willing to
> share using a threadpool or some other mechanism to limit the number
> of background threads?

I've used droid-fu (http://github.com/kaeppler/droid-fu/) for exactly
what you're describing, specifically the ImageLoader class within a
custom adapter. Whenever the ListView calls getView on the adapter,
you instantiate an ImageLoader, passing the ImageView that you want to
populate with your web image and the intended position in the ListView
as arguments.

droid-fu also has a WebImageView which looks like it has some recent
changes that will allow it to be used as a drop-in replacement for
ImageViews within ListViews, so you may be able to use it and not even
fool with a custom adapter at all.

-Aaron