On Sat, Nov 13, 2010 at 3:27 PM, Premier <a.grum...@gmail.com> wrote:
> My application design wants to solve follow problem:
>
> i've to create an application "template". I sell this template to my
> customers. They extend my application with their ui.
>
> My solutions are:
> - create a jar library, in this way customers can integrate my jar in
> their app. Problem is: i haven't control on their app, so if there is
> a bug in my jar library, how i can solve it for all app of all my
> customers?

Send them the replacement JAR. This model has worked reasonably well,
in various forms and technologies, for half a century.

> - create a basic app without ui, so my customers can create their app
> and use services provided by my app. In this way i can correct and
> upgrade my app, and customers haven't to upgrade their apps.

In other words, you want to force your customers to upgrade, whether
they want to or not. You will not let them discuss whether or not they
want the upgrade. You will not let them examine the security
ramifications of the upgrade. You will not let them test before
rolling out the upgrade, in case something in their application breaks
based on your changes. You will not let them distribute the upgrade
only to beta testers at the outset. You will not let them control the
timing of the upgrade, in case your upgrade comes at a bad time (e.g.,
forcing an upgrade of their World Cup application in the middle of the
World Cup). And so on.

If nothing else, offer both solutions.

--
Mark Murphy (a Commons Guy)