DanH,

I've had a look at the allocations using DDMS. The only things that
are being allocated during the game (that I have control over) are
Integer.toString and Drawable.setBounds calls.

Also, I calling System.gc() periodically and it logs the time taken
to do the collection...It doesn't seem to be increasing with time.

I'll try profiling as suggested by Dianne but this is very weird and
is holding up my release :(

cheers,
kk.