To me, this high-res icon could be used on the market on mobile devices, by
using server-side resizing.

There are problems with using the apk icon in the market listings:

1. the market displays icons in odd sizes such as 51px, etc.. Resizing from 48px
or 72px to such sizes can only produce ugly results. Downsizing from 512px
should be much better (some graphic designers do that in certain cases).

2. the icon guidelines say that a launcher icon must include quite a lot of
padding. But on the market your icon then look ridiculously small when compared
to others. By having a market-specific icon (different from the one in the apk),
one could use a larger one on the market, while still respecting the guidelines
for the launcher icon.

So, this is just a supposition, but I think it could be used on mobile devices.

That said, maybe that you're right, and that it's only for Google TV...

Anyway, high res icon or not, what are your methods to get
non-blurred/pixel-sharp icons in the market listings??

Olivier