I've tried the version of that someone put on the Market before. They
mentioned in the description they pulled it out of the Android source
tree. So it is probably the same one as the emulator. The setting only
affected the app itself. Maybe it manages to work on rooted phones and
emulators, however. Not many people have rooted phones anyway, though,
so I never test on them. I suppose different devices might have it set
to something by default, though, or some future phone might offer it
since what the manufacturers put on the phone could have the needed
access without the entire phone being rooted.