I would have been much more impressive to hear something like, "we
tested it in usability studies and found users like the icons moving
around while they are trying to press them and are able to select apps
more efficiently and with greater satisfaction." Or whatever
justification you think it has for the user. Instead it sounds like an
implementation justification, which is indeed, meaningless to users.