Your code is quite strange because when you perform UI operations, it has to
be on the main thread, so you normally have to use an Handler to post
actions on the UI thread when you are in another thread.
I am surprised it works.
Plus I checked your CategoryList.java at google code, I didn't find any line
related to the progress bar.