Its clearly easy to do, because some many apps do it, but I can't see
how.
I want to display a very simple dialog, with a Title and Content
(eother TextView or perhaps a WebView).

But I want to style the dialog so that the background of the Title,
Content and the dialog window itself are something other than grey.

I've tried constructing a Dialog and setting the ContentView and
Title, but the title always has the grey background.

I've tried using an AlterDialog#Builder, but if I specify the title
string using #setTilte then I have no control over the background. ie
same as for new Dialog above. I also get the grey background of the
dialog window bleeding through above and below the title and content.

I have tried setting a theme for the application that sets the dialog
styles using
        <item name="android:alertDialogStyle">@style/
myAlertDialogStyle</item>
But that doesn't seem to have any effect. Buut then again the doco
that I have found is extremely vague on details, so I probably messed
it up. If you can point me to some clean and coherent doco I'd be
obliged.

The closest I have come is to construct using AlterDialog#Builder and
use both #setContentView and #setCustomTitle as I can style eahc of
those views, but I still have the grey dialog background bleeding
through.above and below the title and content.

Unless someone can point me in the right direction, the only option I
can see is to ditch the Dialog altogether and just create an Activity
that displays the info I want with the styling I want. This is
trivial, but it feels SO wrong. If you can't easily style, what's the
point of the dialogs at all?