I was wondering if it was possible to detect a touch of the screen
when the screen is off.

I know this doesn't make sense for most apps (if its in your pocket
you dont want it to register touches when off) but for the app im
developing i need/want it to.
The phone is going to be left on the table when this app is used,
usually in the dark, and so want to turn the screen off whilst its not
being used (so the light doesn't distract you), but i don't want the
normal screen lock to come on, i want to be able to just touch the
screen and it comes back to life.

One option would be to just make the screen back, but still on, i
don't really want this option because power is still used, and black
isnt properly black it has a glow to it. I would like to have a screen
that is off, but touchable, anyone out there got any ideas?

Many thanks
Damo