My 2c - you are over-complicating this.The getView is ONLY to give back the
view for the item that is requested. If you want this item to be colored X
then do it here. If you want another item to be colored Y then do it when
getView is called for that item. The state maintenance, i.e. what is X or Y
is done independent of the code within getView which needs to just return
the View...

As for the specific text, if you are returning a TextView t, then t.setText
would work.