@Mark: thanks for your reply and greetings of the holiday season!

The reason I used these MIME types was that I was just wanted a
general classification of the files based on their extension, into
these four categories. And deemed them appropriate/enough.
A quick search shows that a mapping file for such a cause(mapping from
File ext to actual MIME) already exists. Maybe I should consider using
them.

I changed my code to the following and it worked:

Intent myIntent = new Intent(Intent.ACTION_VIEW);
// MIME_TYPE could be either of: image/*, video/*, audio/*, text/*
myIntent.setDataAndType(Uri.fromFile(tempFile), MIME_TYPE);