Dan,

"There already are Android-specific classes and methods for a lot of
audio-related functionality..."

At least for my applications, which would be new code for the android
platform, not ports from somewhere else,
I don't care if it's javax.sound or whatever, as long as I can move
bits from mic-->memory and memory->speaker.

Even with caveats about having to rewrite stuff later when things
change, I would still like to use any capabilities available today on
the G1 through the 1.0 SDK.  Can you provide any additional clues or
even documentation or examples of such interfaces to they extent
they exist in any useable form?

Regards,

Dorn Hetzel