I am confused between screen rotation and activity sent back.

My requirement i am trying out in my application is

- when activity goes to idle( meant pressing back ) , i need to stop a
timer.
- When screen rotation happens i shouldnt stop a timer.

I also registered for action_configuration_changed to know when the
screen rotation happens.

        IntentFilter filter = new IntentFilter();
                filter.addAction(Intent.ACTION_CONFIGURATION_CHANGED);
                mContext.registerReceiver(mBroadcastReceiver, filter);

private BroadcastReceiver mBroadcastReceiver = new BroadcastReceiver()
{
        public void onReceive(Context context, Intent intent) {
            String action = intent.getAction();
            if (Intent.ACTION_CONFIGURATION_CHANGED.equals(action)) {
                //updateBackground();
                screeChanged = true;
                System.out.println("On screen changed");
            }
        }
    };

When i traced the flow, when back happens this is wat i observed.

Screen rotated from landscape to portrait

I/System.out( 1666): On stop
I/System.out( 1666): On Destroy
I/System.out( 1666): On create
I/System.out( 1666): On resume
I/System.out( 1666): On screen changed

Screen rotated from portrait to landscape

I/System.out( 1666): On pause
I/System.out( 1666): On stop
I/System.out( 1666): On Destroy
I/System.out( 1666): On create
I/System.out( 1666): On resume
I/System.out( 1666): On screen changed

When back pressed:
I/System.out( 1666): On pause
I/System.out( 1666): On stop
I/System.out( 1666): On Destroy

All these function calls are similar for both usecase... so any clue
how do i differentiate my activity is went back or screen changed.

Could somebody throw lights on my problem.

Thanks,
Mani