I have an application that I am trying to stop the automatic restart
when the screen is rotated.  I put android:configChanges="orientation|
keyboardHidden" into the Manifest (copied below) but the screen still
rotates and the OnCreate is called (verified by writing to the log in
OnCreate).   Have I missed something else that is required to stop
this default action?

The reason I want to do this is that the app is accessing a webserver
via an AsyncTask and I'd like to stop the restart until I can figure
out how to link the background task to the new pid that is created.
I've read some pages on it but not yet clear how to do that.

Sorry for maybe some terminology that isn't correct. Hopefully the
issue is clear though.   Thanks for any pointers to information that
may help.

Robert

<manifest xmlns:android="http://schemas.android.com/apk/res/android";
      package="com.copelan.android.reunionplanner"
      android:versionCode="1"
      android:installLocation="auto" android:versionName="0.1.0">
    <application android:icon="@drawable/icon" android:label="@string/
app_name">
        <activity android:name=".ReunionPlanner"
                  android:label="@string/app_name">
                  android:configChanges="orientation|keyboardHidden"
            <intent-filter>
                <action android:name="android.intent.action.MAIN" />
                <category
android:name="android.intent.category.LAUNCHER" />
            </intent-filter>

        </activity>

       <activity android:name="Preferences"
android:label="Preferences"></activity>
       <activity android:name=".About"
                 android:label="About"
                 android:theme="@android:style/Theme.Dialog">
       </activity>
</application>
    <uses-sdk android:minSdkVersion="3" />

<uses-permission android:name="android.permission.INTERNET"></uses-
permission>
<uses-permission
android:name="android.permission.ACCESS_NETWORK_STATE"></uses-
permission>
</manifest>